Sunday, June 23, 2013

Happy 5th Anniversary to me and my friend Pat



June 23, 2013

Well this date marks 5 years since I had my mastectomy.

I remember how scared I was going to the hospital, Jane McGrath had lost her battle overnight, so it made the day so much more surreal. I went to the operating room at 1pm and I remember waking in the recovery room and looking at the clock, it was just after 3, I asked the nurse to let my husband know I was out and fine so he could call my family in Canada and let them know I had come through surgery fine.

I was in my room by 4:30 pm and Charlie was with me. He had called my family, and I received a nice teddy bear and card from David and Stacey, wishing me a speedy recovery. It was about 8 pm and Charlie was getting ready to go home when I felt I couldn’t breathe, the nurse was there and helped me to sit up, I was having a panic attack, I had never had one before, I guess it just all hit me, what had happened that day and the journey before me.

A great childhood friend was going through the same thing I was, only hers was preventative. She has had many setbacks like me, but has battled on and she also realizes it is alright to not be the women we were before our operations.
My husband has suggested I write about my journey for my grand kids, I had tried to keep up a journal at the time, but after the dose of chemo that nearly killed me I lost interest and it hurt to much to write about it. Maybe now I am a stronger person and can finish that journal. 
Today's Quote; My cancer scare changed my life.  I'm grateful for every new, healthy day I have. It has helped me prioritize my life.  ~Olivia Newton-John

No comments:

Post a Comment